Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] nmorson@googlemail.com is offline

Default VLOOKUP help?

Hi. Can someone help with this forumla please? I've trawled the
Internet but not yet found the answer so this is my last hope.

I have a spreadsheet with the following information:

A B C D More grades
1 Mathew Bloggs 9H A B
2 John Smith 9G C C
3 Abby Jones 9N E G
4 David Jones 9N F A
5 Elaine Biscuits 9F B C

(please excuse the crude layout) A - firstname, B - surname C -
form D - grade

I want to use VLOOKUP and enter the students firstname, surname and
form to return their grades. I've looked at using arrays and a tech
guy at work said I need VLOOKUP and IF statement to. But I can't
figure out how. This is what I have so far:
=VLOOKUP(A8,A1:E6,4,FALSE) which obviously returns whatever I type
into A8 from the range A1:E6 in column 4. So if I type Abby into cell
A8 I will get 'E'.

What I need to do is type in firstname, surname and form to return
their grade. I'm told I need to do this using IF statements or an
ARRAY but I can't see how. Can anyone spare me the time to help?