Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FoulDwimmerlaik FoulDwimmerlaik is offline

Default extending a horizontally calculated formula vertically

it is set to automatic... *sigh*

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You may have ToolsOptionsCalculation set to manual.

Set it to Automatic.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:39:01 -0800, FoulDwimmerlaik
wrote:

I see what you're saying regarding the referencing of row identifier number.
I tried copying the formula and pasting it to the subsequent rows, but the
it's just calculating for row 1 every time rather than the row I'm pasting
the formula into. Is there some setting I may not have set right?

"FSt1" wrote:

hi
you don't have any proper cell address in your formula
should be something like this.....
=SUM(K1)+(C1*3)+(F1*3)+(E1*5)+(I1*5)
the row reference should appear as well as the column reference.
to reference a column.... should be = sum(K:K)
to reference a row......... should be = sum(1:1)
I change it to on my machine and it's calculating on row 1 all columns
listed. it also copies down as expected.

Regards
FSt1

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

that didn't seem to work; it just kept repeating the total for that specific
line. If it helps any, my actual formula is this :
=SUM(K)+(C*3)+(F*3)+(E*5)+(I*5)

"FSt1" wrote:

hi
the formula should read something like this..
in E2...=sum(A1+B1+C1+(D1*2))
copy the formula and paste it as far down as you need. xl will adjust the
row numbers for you.

Regards
FSt1

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

I have a list of several hundred items with numeric values extending
horizontally from them. I have created a formula to tabulate these values to
create a total to the right of the last cell for each item. However, I do
not wish to retype the formula for each row, how do I apply the formula to
the entire list so each row will have its own total? example:
A B C D E
Entry1 10 10 10 10 50

formula is A+B+C+(D*2)=E

How do I apply this formula to each row without having to enter it and
change the row number withing the formula for every single row?? Thanks!