Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default I Need Help Returning Column Numbers

Ok, how about telling us the specific location of the data and where you
want the formula(s). It would even help if you could post a small example
with the results you expect.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
im going to need to find the second, third, fourth highest and so on. And
need to be able to find highest numbers even if they are the same

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try something like this:

=INDEX(COLUMN(J1:N1),MATCH(MAX(J1:N1),J1:N1,0))

If there are duplicate max values the formula will "find" the first
instance
only.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
i need actual column number

Thanks,
Cory

"T. Valko" wrote:

Do you want the actual column number or the relative column number?

For example:

......J.....K.....L.....M.....N.....
......8.....2.....7......6......1......

Column J has the highest value. Column J's actual column number is 10
but
its relative column number is 1.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value
(LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant
quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?