Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default Vlookup Error, how to convert Text to Number

That does need the ATP however.

RD

"pinmaster" wrote in message
Yes...also found this to work as well:

=IMREAL(A1)

Regards!
Jean-Guy

"RagDyeR" wrote:

How about:

=SIGN(A1)*ABS(A1)

?

RD

"pinmaster" wrote in message
you are absolutely correct, the abs function will return a positive
number...maybe someone else has a solution for that.

Regards!
Jean-Giu

"claude jerry" wrote:

but
refering to some other context, If I have a Text value say '-235 and I
want
to convert this Text into Number -235 . . . =Abs() will , show convert
the
number as positive 235,

"pinmaster" wrote:

Hi,

To change numbers formatted as text to real numbers you can use the
ABS
function:

=ABS(A1)

Regards!
Jean-Guy

"claude jerry" wrote:

Yes ! that was something new I was looking for.

Just for my extra information. . How will I change a Text 1234 to
Number 1234

I guess for this Max's trick works well

Thanks both you guys

"pinmaster" wrote:

Hi,

You can also use a formula without changing the cells format,
something like
this:

=VLOOKUP(TEXT(A1,"#"),table,2,0)

Cheers!
Jean-Guy

"claude jerry" wrote:

I have a Table with foll Detail Which is used for Vlookup (This
is created
by spooling data from a software package)

Id Name Date Fee
129 Tom 15/12/07 500
158 Kat 14/11/01 450

The above id's (129 and 158 etc ) are Text values
I.e if I use a test, =Istext(Id Cell) it gives me "True"

Our head office sends me an excel File

Id Name Date Fee
129 Blank Blank Blank

The Id's they sent are in Number format
I used a Test =Isnumber(Id cell) it gives me "True"

I am using a VlookupFormula to fill the Blank information sent
by
Headoffice
by refering to by data stored in the first table. but since in
the
Original
table the Id's are in Text format and the Id's in the second
table
are
Number. Vlookup gives an error.

How can I convert these Numbers to text, or Text to Numbers.

Format Cells Numbers . . .. does not help