Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jorge Cervantes Jorge Cervantes is offline

Default function for date?

Thank you.

I got it.

Jorge

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Put 11/26/07 in a cell where you have applied this formatting

mmmm dd, yyyy

and it will show as

November 26, 2007

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
Thanks Peo,

I have never done similar thing before. Now, I am learning how.
Now, I typed in the type box ant then hit enter.

Then, how to use it?

Jorge

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
No, you have to physically highlight whatever is in the right hand side
just below
Type:
before you can type in the format

If you just go to an empty new cell it will say General in the little
box below the word Type: Now select that word with your mouse and type
in the new format

In the left pane it says Category:, then beneath you can see all
different categories, the bottom one says Custom, select custom and you
will get the Type: box in the right pane

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
type in mmmm dd, yyyy in the type box on the right hand side then
press enter

When I follow your instruciton, here is a problem.
There is no column or anything to TYPE IN.
I got to select one from the existing codes.
Closest one I could see from the drop down codes is m/d/yyy.
Is that what you meant?
Jorge

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Type 11/26/07 in a cell, select the cell, press Ctrl and 1
then scroll down to custom and type in mmmm dd, yyyy in the type box
on the right hand side then press enter

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
I am not that computer-literate.

When I type in "=TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")" in a cell of 97Excel
xls, it did convert into date.
It shows the same "=TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")" function in the
cell. All templates from 97Excel did not work.

But when I type it in 2003 Excel sheet, it automatically convert into
November 28, 2007.

just type in the date as 11/26/07 and the do
formatcellsnumbercustom and use

I could not quite follow your instruction. I got stuck at "number".

Jorge,

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
It's no difference, the date functions haven't changed. What
happened when you tried it on excel 97?
Regardless you don't need the text function or the date function to
get a date to display as

November 26, 2007

mmmm dd, yyyy

Peo Sjoblom

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message

=TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

The above format works perfect on 2003Excel (from 2003 Office
Suite) but did not work on 97Excel file (from 97Office Suite).
Although I am using 2003Excel, I still use some excel templates
from 97 Excel.

I would very much appreciate it if you could post the date function
for 97 Excel.

Thank you. Jorge

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)"
wrote in message ...
Is this what you are looking for?

For today: =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Specified date: =TEXT(DATE(2007,11,25),"mmmm dd, yyyy")

Rick

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
You are correct though, but that is not what I asked for.
When I tried both functions, it shows 11/26/07.

I need a date function for "November 26, 2007".

Jorge

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
=today()

Or, on any other day:

=DATE(2007,11,25)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jorge Cervantes" wrote in message
| What is the date function for November 25th, 2007 for Excel?
TIA.