Lady Layla

Thanks for the laugh Dave -- I needed one this am

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
: I don't use Access, but you can see how excel truncates strings by...
:
: 1. Create a new workbook.
: in A1 of sheet1, put this:
: =rept("asdf ", 500)
: In A2, put =len(a1)
: you'll see 2500
: save this workbook (but don't close it)
:
: 2. Create new workbook.
: in A1 of sheet1, put a formula that points back at that A1 with
: the long string
: It should look something like: =[book1.xls]Sheet1!$A$1
: In A2, put =len(a1)
: you'll see 2500.
:
: 3. Close that workbook that you created in step 1.
:
: 4. Select A1 (of the second workbook)
: Hit F2|Enter (to reevalate the formula)
: You'll see the string change and the length change in A2.
:
: Same kind of thing happens using Access (but I don't speak the Access).
(Yeah,
: I like that phrase!)
:
: Dave Unger wrote:
:
: Dave,
:
: Please expand on your "truncation" comment. I've been having trouble
: today with my messages being truncated, accessed through Google groups.
: Don't know why, hasn't happened before.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Dave Unger