Dave Peterson

I don't use Access, but you can see how excel truncates strings by...

1. Create a new workbook.
in A1 of sheet1, put this:
=rept("asdf ", 500)
In A2, put =len(a1)
you'll see 2500
save this workbook (but don't close it)

2. Create new workbook.
in A1 of sheet1, put a formula that points back at that A1 with
the long string
It should look something like: =[book1.xls]Sheet1!$A$1
In A2, put =len(a1)
you'll see 2500.

3. Close that workbook that you created in step 1.

4. Select A1 (of the second workbook)
Hit F2|Enter (to reevalate the formula)
You'll see the string change and the length change in A2.

Same kind of thing happens using Access (but I don't speak the Access). (Yeah,
I like that phrase!)

Dave Unger wrote:

Dave,

Please expand on your "truncation" comment. I've been having trouble
today with my messages being truncated, accessed through Google groups.
Don't know why, hasn't happened before.

Thanks,

Dave Unger

--