Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bluegrassstateworker bluegrassstateworker is offline

Default Name Ranges error

On Oct 22, 4:46 pm, JE McGimpsey wrote:
Any workarounds? Well, you proposed one already (leading underscore).

RC addresses begin with "R" or "C" so your "B...","G...","W...." names
are irrelevant if my supposition is correct.

"C000_" doesn't start with a valid RC address, either, since there's no
column 0. And names can't start with a number (see Help, "About labels
and names in formulas").

C100_, OTOH, does start with a valid RC address (column 100).

My supposition is, I think, a bit stronger as

C256_abc

which starts with a valid column reference, is rejected, while

C257_abc

which starts with an invalid (pre-XL07) column reference is accepted.
Likewise the valid row reference starting

R65536_abc

is rejected but the invalid (pre-XL07) row reference beginning

R65537_abc

is not.

In article .com,

bluegrassstateworker wrote:
Here are name ranges Excel <rejected:
C100_Division_of_Program_Integrity
2000_Division_of_Protection_and_Permanency
3000_Division_of_Family_Support
4000_Division_of_Child_Support
6000_Division_of_Child_Care

Here are some it <accepted:
B000_Division_of_Staff_Resource_Development
G100_Division_of_Quality_Living
C000_Division_of_Service_Regions
W400_Div_Long_Term_Care_and_Comm_Altern
W500_Division_of_Hospitals_and_Provider_Operations

If I add: an preceeding underscore
(_C100_Division_of_Program_Integrity) then Excel accepts it. Any
workarounds to this bug?

Perhaps I am missing where these as a group of rejected and accepted
are dissimilar.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks JE and Peo for your thoughts and input! Looks like I have a
challenge to resolve...