Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Name Ranges error

I have two name ranges that are not duplicates but produce an error
message when I try to create them using either one of the names
below. There are no spaces, just underlines in the attempted named
range:
C100_Division_of_Program_Integrity
2000_Division_of_Protection_and_Permanency

If I take the range and name it "test" or anything similar and
shorter, then Excel accepts the name and creates the named range.
What is strange is that I have a similar named range:
A200_Office_of_Legislative_and_Public_Affairs that Excel took without
an error message.

The C100_Division...... name is not listed elsewhere. I have
installed the name manager add-in and it is not listed. I do have a
lot of named ranges but why will it take the shorter "test" but not
the longer name (with underlines, no spaces) ?? I am using Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I suspect this is a bug.

In brief testing, if the first 1 to 5 characters before the underscore
can be interpreted as part of an RC address (e.g., C1_, C100_, R35_,
R1000_) then the name is rejected.

In article .com,
bluegrassstateworker wrote:

I have two name ranges that are not duplicates but produce an error
message when I try to create them using either one of the names
below. There are no spaces, just underlines in the attempted named
range:
C100_Division_of_Program_Integrity
2000_Division_of_Protection_and_Permanency

If I take the range and name it "test" or anything similar and
shorter, then Excel accepts the name and creates the named range.
What is strange is that I have a similar named range:
A200_Office_of_Legislative_and_Public_Affairs that Excel took without
an error message.

The C100_Division...... name is not listed elsewhere. I have
installed the name manager add-in and it is not listed. I do have a
lot of named ranges but why will it take the shorter "test" but not
the longer name (with underlines, no spaces) ?? I am using Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 22, 2:40 pm, JE McGimpsey wrote:
[...]

the longer name (with underlines, no spaces) ?? I am using Excel 2003.- Hide quoted text -

This is certainly a bug. What is strange though is that I have a
similar name created range called:
A200_Office_of_Legislative_and_Public_Affairs that is very similar to
the one rejected by Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 22, 3:15 pm, JE McGimpsey wrote:
Not so strange if my supposition is correct about RC addresses. An
A1-style address wouldn't trigger the bug.

In article .com,

bluegrassstateworker wrote:
This is certainly a bug. What is strange though is that I have a
similar name created range called:
A200_Office_of_Legislative_and_Public_Affairs that is very similar to
the one rejected by Excel.- Hide quoted text -

Here are name ranges Excel <rejected:
C100_Division_of_Program_Integrity
2000_Division_of_Protection_and_Permanency
3000_Division_of_Family_Support
4000_Division_of_Child_Support
6000_Division_of_Child_Care

Here are some it <accepted:
B000_Division_of_Staff_Resource_Development
G100_Division_of_Quality_Living
C000_Division_of_Service_Regions
W400_Div_Long_Term_Care_and_Comm_Altern
W500_Division_of_Hospitals_and_Provider_Operations

If I add: an preceeding underscore
(_C100_Division_of_Program_Integrity) then Excel accepts it. Any
workarounds to this bug?

Perhaps I am missing where these as a group of rejected and accepted
are dissimilar.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It won't accept any name that start with a number by design (I believe) and
the first (C100_etc) it rejected because of the RC bug

Peo Sjoblom

"bluegrassstateworker" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Any workarounds? Well, you proposed one already (leading underscore).

RC addresses begin with "R" or "C" so your "B...","G...","W...." names
are irrelevant if my supposition is correct.

"C000_" doesn't start with a valid RC address, either, since there's no
column 0. And names can't start with a number (see Help, "About labels
and names in formulas").

C100_, OTOH, does start with a valid RC address (column 100).

My supposition is, I think, a bit stronger as

C256_abc

which starts with a valid column reference, is rejected, while

C257_abc

which starts with an invalid (pre-XL07) column reference is accepted.
Likewise the valid row reference starting

R65536_abc

is rejected but the invalid (pre-XL07) row reference beginning

R65537_abc

is not.

In article .com,
bluegrassstateworker wrote:

Here are name ranges Excel <rejected:
C100_Division_of_Program_Integrity
2000_Division_of_Protection_and_Permanency
3000_Division_of_Family_Support
4000_Division_of_Child_Support
6000_Division_of_Child_Care

Here are some it <accepted:
B000_Division_of_Staff_Resource_Development
G100_Division_of_Quality_Living
C000_Division_of_Service_Regions
W400_Div_Long_Term_Care_and_Comm_Altern
W500_Division_of_Hospitals_and_Provider_Operations

If I add: an preceeding underscore
(_C100_Division_of_Program_Integrity) then Excel accepts it. Any
workarounds to this bug?

Perhaps I am missing where these as a group of rejected and accepted
are dissimilar.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 22, 4:46 pm, JE McGimpsey wrote:
[...]

are dissimilar.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks JE and Peo for your thoughts and input! Looks like I have a
challenge to resolve...