Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Count Names

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:50:04 -0700, relo wrote:

I would like to be able to count the number of different names in a column.
In the example below in Column C is the field name ClientName. Under
ClientName are the different names that I would like to count. There are
several hundred files in the spreadsheet and would like to be able to count
how many are "WRRI", "Primacy" etc. How can I do this? Thanks in advance.

ClientName
WRRI
WRRI
ETC Relo
Primacy
WRRI
SIRVA
Moving Station
Prudential
Hewitt
WRRI
WRRI
Vision
Hewitt
Moving Station
SIRVA
WRRI
American Relocation
WRRI
GMAC
Moving Station
WRRI
GMAC
WRRI

One way would be to set up a pivot table.

Drag "ClientName" to the Rows area and also to the Data area. With the default
settings, it will give you a list of the unique ClientNames and a count of each
name.

Count of ClientName
ClientName Total
American Relocation 1