Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rmace rmace is offline

Default Convert Function

I have checked several physics and thermodynamic references.
2 of them say 1 BTU = 778 foot pounds.
1 says 1 BTU = 778.3 foot pounds.
1 says 1 BTU = 1060 joules and 1 foot pound = 1.36 joules
which works out to 1 BTU = 779.411 foot pounds.
1 says 1 foot pound = . .001286 BTU
which works out to 1 BTU = 777.605 foot pounds.
A poundal is different than a pound by a factor of the gravitational constant
g = approx 32.2
And the error factor here is approximately = 32.2
Therefore if EXCEL actually meant foot-poundals, instead of foot-pounds,
then there conversion is correct; however, their reference for the convert
function says €śfoot pounds€ť and not €śfoot poundals€ť. In engineering
practice, €śfoot-poundals€ť are seldom used, €śfoot pounds€ť are the normal
measurement for energy.

So, maybe, the EXCEL code writers were confused on the units when they wrote
the convert code??

Thank you for your responses. I will send an email to microsoft support.
--
Bob

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

I would just be guessing here.
=CONVERT(1,"btu","flb")
25036.98

In my old "Handbook of Chemistry & Physics"
the closest conversion listed is
Btu to "Foot-Poundals", and listed as 25020.1

Hmmm. Still a little off.

However, if I flip the page, and reverse the conversion, the factor given is
a little less precise...
0.0000399417

but
=1/0.0000399417
returns
25,036.49

Much closer. So, my guess is that Microsoft copied the wrong conversion,
and didn't use enough digits.
--
Dana DeLouis

"Duke Carey" wrote in message
And in 2007

"Vasant Nanavati" wrote:

I can confirm this error in Excel 2003 as well.

"rmace" wrote in message
There is an error in EXCEL 2002 convert function for BTU to flb.

1 BTU should convert to 778 flb; however, it is calculating 25037.

Can someone else confirm this error?

Thank you.
--
Bob