Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
m.beebee[_2_] m.beebee[_2_] is offline

Default date auto correct

Thanks. I had it set on English-South Africa, and everyone i know here uses
the UK date format, so i assumed that excel would be the same.

yeah, i found that if i put a letter infront then it is cool.
What i have is a column that says - 'K-rating' and then it will either be a
number such as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc
or it will be 1/2, 2/3, 3/4. Problem is it automatically changes those into
a date.
so I now just put in K2/3 or K3/4

but thanks for your input. much appreciated.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

It sounds as though your Regional Setting are set to US rather than UK
Control PanelRegional SettingsChoose UK

AS for the second part of your question, either pre-format the cell as
Text before entering 3/4 or place a single quote in front of the entry
'3/4. The quote won't show up in the cell, but it will force the entry
to be text.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"m.beebee" wrote in message
I have two problems with regards to date auto correct:
1) when i enter 4/6 - ie 4 June as i want ddmmyyyy - it automatically
changes to 06-Apr when i actually want 04-Jun. I have looked through
all the
options i can find and changed defaults to yyyymmdd (although i would
like is
at ddmmyyy, but that is not an option on the list).
2) secondly i sometimes need to have a cell that says 3/4 or 1/2
without it
automatically chaging this to a date. how do i switch this off?