Arun

simon, select the cell heading PlannedDueDate and select the Entire column,
and invoke Conditional formatting. and enter the options as i said earlier.
as i've specified to validate with "$C1" excel applies $C1 for 1st and
automatically changes the formula to $c2, $c3 and so on...

"Simon L" wrote:

Thank Arun but it seems that I have to specify that all cells must compare
against B1 in your example. am i missing something?

Example:
Project Name PlannedDueDate ActualDueDate
Project1 10/10/05 10/10/05
Project2 10/11/05 15/11/05
Project3 10/11/05 10/11/05

Here I would like actualduedate for Project 2 to change colour since it is
running late compared with the plannedduedate in Project2. Hope this makes
sense :-)

"Arun" wrote:

Select entire Col "A" (assuming 1st date in Col A) click on conditional
formatting select "Cell Value Is", "not equal to" "=$B1"

that should do it. :)

"Simon L" wrote:

I have an external database that Excel queries and returns two columns of
dates. I can set up a conditional format (in one colum) so that the dates in
each row of the column change colour if the corresponding columns date is
different. My problem is how to COPY and PASTE the conditional formatting
across all dates in the one column (so that each cell looks at the date in
the corresponding cell next to it)?

Any ideas or suggestions?