Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rob Rob is offline

Default Excel Icons

Thanks Jim. You've been very helpful!

Rob

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
It's hard to predict what MS will do, but I expect some performance
improvements with SP1 whenever that comes out. I suspect however that
much
of the speed drop is linked to things fundamental to the design of Excel
2007 and therefore not likely to be improved much.

I have to (and want to) keep everything I do in Excel 2003 compatible
format
so I use that version for development. I test in Excel 2007 just to see
that, when we do get users with that version, things run, albeit more
slowly.

--
Jim
"Rob" <none wrote in message
| Thanks Jim (and Dave), I suspected this may have been the case, but
because
| of the problems I was having once I converted to the new format it had
me
| concerned.
|
| Do you think that MS will get this product working better than it is? I
see
| MANY complaints about the speed issues in the Newsgroup. I'm finding
that
| it's better to leave the file in the older format to retain the previous
| speed of calculation and opening, etc. (You've probably also seen the
| problem people have when double clicking the file when Excel isn't
already
| open!)
|
| I'm tempted to reinstall Office 2003 and test my creations in 2007 as it
| seems this new product is all about gloss. Unfortunately I need to run
2007
| to synchronise with my employer.
|
| Rob
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote in message
| You're right, Dave, it is just XLSM files, or at least not XLSX files.
|
| Rob - It's just supposed to warn you that this file type has macros,
or
| will if the file is properly named. I don't think there is anything
wrong
| with your machine. Excel 2007 is generally quite a bit slower than
Excel
| 2003. Excel 2007 has the XLSB (B=binary) for situations where file
| speed is an issue.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Dave Peterson" wrote in message
| Does the exclamation point only show up when you use an extension
that
| indicates
| the workbook contains macros?
|
| Rob wrote:
|
| Sorry Jim, not enough info. By icons I mean the icons in Windows
| explorer
| to the left of the file name. Or the icon that's created when
creating
| shortcut. As soon as I save a file to the 2007 version an
exclamtion
| mark
| appears as part of the icon at the bottom right. Something like
that
| would
| normally indicate to me that there was some type of error, but all
that
| I've
| done is save the file to the new .xlsm format. I notice that if I
| simply
| change a file name's extension from .xls to .xlsm that the same
small
| black
| (with yellow background) exclamation mark appears. I think it's
showing
| that something's amiss with my installation, but I'm not sure.
| The reason this is concerning me is that as soon as I do save to the
new
| format that new file behaves VERY slow, particularly in
calculations,