Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Can anyone recommend a reference book

Paul,

Thanks for letting us know.

I think you are absolutely right, but as I said earlier, I don't think that
the book that you want exists (yet!). If you want a good description on
SUMPRODUCT see =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20-DAY(A1:A20)+1=DATE(2006,10,1))) (I know
it's good, I wrote it <vbg).

I think that one the problems is that these esoteric solutions are logic
based, not formula based, that is they arise from understanding formulae and
seeing how they can be stretched, they don't necessarily arise from the
formula, the logic can be applied to many functions. As such, it probably
doesn't fit in describing how particular functions work. But ... maybe a
chapter on building complex formulae could cover it, but again it is no
trivial subject (I do a two day course on the same subject).

Anyway, I hope that the book helps, and the page above. Keep visiting,
that's the best way to learn.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"phocused" wrote in message

Someone asked me to post back and let people know my thoughts on the book.
I received the book last Friday and have been using it since, working
through the examples and reading the tips and tricks.

First imprssions are that it will be a helpful addition to my collection
but
like most of these books, it falls short in a number of areas.

I often find that the examples are to simplistic and dont really cover
'real
world' problems. They appear to be designed to meet the requirement of
the
beginner were I was looking for a bit more. Dont get me wrong, i am by no
means an expert, far from it, but I can muddle through reasonable well.

For example, the sumproduct examples in the book are limited to a couple
of
descriptions and yet on this forum it seems that sumproduct is used in a
vast
number of the answers.
Take the formula below which was written by bob if i remember rightly. Its
real world and its doing a number of things and yet there is nothing in
the
book like this. Its all there seperately, but there is nothing on how to
put
it together and make it work.

=IF($G19<"",SUMPRODUCT((ROW(INDIRECT($F19&":"&$G1 9))=AC$16)*(ROW(INDIRECT($F19&":"&$G19))<DATE(YEA R(AC$16),MONTH(AC$16)+1,1))),SUMPRODUCT((ROW(INDIR ECT($F19&":"&$F$1))=AC$16)*(ROW(INDIRECT($F19&":" &$F$1))<DATE(YEAR(AC$16),MONTH(AC$16)+1,1))))

Having said that, the detail is all in the book and the fun is as much
about
the journey as the end. So I will be making good use of the book but I
will
still be looking for a book that goes that bit further.

Rgds Paul

" wrote:

phocused wrote:
"Bob Phillips" wrote:
There is really only one book on formulae worth its salt IMO, and
that is
John Walkenbach's Excel 2003 Formulas (sic!).

Thanks for the help, reccomendations.
I have gone for Bob's suggestion.

And please post back with your impression of the book after you have
read it and tried to use it for a while.

I have both of Walkenbach's Excel books. (Well, he might have more
than two. Unfortunately, they are both packed away during remodeling,
so I cannot check the titles.) They are certainly full of useful
information. But I am very disappointed in their organization,
presentation and completeness. After reading the VBA book nearly a
year ago, I never can find anything when I go to look up something that
I "know" is in the book. And as I recall, things were not presented in
a "logical" sequence in the first place.

I have used the Excel Formulas book only sparingly, having learned
Excel on my own very easily based on years of experience with
pioneering spreadsheet products. But it, too, suffers as a reference,
IMHO.

Having said all that, I should add that I am a professional computer
programmer (post grad degree) with many decades of experience in system
programming in another part of the industry. Arguably, perhaps my
expectations are too high. In fact, I am sure they are, considering
the seemingly overwhelming good reviews of Walkenbach's books.

PS: On the other hand, I have yet to find a book that presents Excel
and VBA programming any better. I think the MS industry is severely
lacking in quality texts. At least, I have yet to stumble upon
anything really good.