Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Can anyone recommend a reference book

"T. Valko" wrote in message
I agree it falls well short of discussing advanced techniques such as the
one we discussed back on 25th June

Can you provide a link to that discussion?

This is the one.

http://tinyurl.com/yn64g2

You won't find it anything new, but it was new to Joe (who by his own
admission is an advanced user) at that time, and the discussion was the
interesting part. At least I thought it was relevant to this thread.

I don't know what "that topic" is but I've also "thought about writing a
book" on "advanced formulas". I wouldn't know where to start! I haven't a
clue about how to write a book! I don't have JW's book, but does it cover
the types of formulas and techniques we routinely provide in these groups?
I have a couple of old books but they're pretty much useless for anything
above the very basics:

That topic was advanced Excel techniques, not just formulae, but mainly
formulae driven.

It's a while since I have looked at John's book, but as I recall, it wasn't
going into the depth of some of the solutions of the type that we offer
here. It was more along the lines of taking themes, and developing them,
showing the formulae available, how to use them etc. There is some extremely
basic stuff there, some more advanced stuff (Part IV is Array Formulae). The
best bit is part III for me, Financial Formulae, but probably because I know
naff all about them. Despite what Joe says, I think it is well formatted, I
think that is one of John's strengths.

I think the market needs a book that starts at the intermediate user, and
gives them tools and techniques to become an expert. No basic stuff, all
that is assumed in the reader. I really don't think that book exists at this
point. And of course, if anyone wants to write it, publishers now want it to
be focussed on Excel 2007.