Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David F Cox David F Cox is offline

Default in Excel: how can I make excel count 5 as 15 (5+4+3+2+1)

One brick goes on top of two bricks, across the join.
Two bricks go on top of three bricks across the joins etc.
The desired "pyramid" is 5 bricks high, how many bricks?

That is just one example. Similar scenarios pop up all over the place in the
real world.

"romelsb" wrote in message
Carl....Yah 3+2+1 = 6, but you say sum years----what does 3 pertains in
relation to 2 and 1. if you input 3 - what does 3 stands for ? 3 years ?
Then
what is 2 and 1 for ? I cant see a sense to solve this problem of yours ?

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Carl,

In A2, use the formula

=SUMPRODUCT(ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & A1))*1)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Carl" wrote in message
I need excel to do something to whatever digit is filled out in a cell.

Like if I would fill out 3 in A1, A2 would spit out: 6 because
(3+2+1=6)

This is particularly used in the sum of the years method. However I
don't
need that function, I just need A2 to spit out what I mentioned
already.