R.VENKATARAMAN

aplogise. there is a bit of confusion in those instsrucstion. lprobably
sleepy mood

now again
in exmpty cell enter 1
edit copy this cell
highlight the whole range where you have taken from the bank
now edit pastespecial multiply
the numbers will be now in number format.

mine excel 2000
this time I tested in my excel.

HHG wrote in message
In step 2, what do you mean by "when using this cell use absolute

reference"?
what I know about absolute reference is something like this: $a$1 How

would
I use this in what you are saying...sorry I'm not thinking very straight
right now...thanks for your help!

"R.VENKATARAMAN" wrote:

probably the numbers you copied from your bank are in text format.

if these are in text format follow these steps
1. in an empty cell type 1(the nummber one)
2. when using this cell use absolute reference
3. edit and copy this cell and highlight the firstnumber and
edit-pastespecial-multiply(under operation in the middle). the number in
textformat will become in number format.
copy this down to all the numbers.
perhaps now the sum function will work.

HHG wrote in message
I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to

add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I

down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the

cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next

column,
and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over

3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!