HHG

Well...it is NOT a number, but when I entered in "=value(E235)" it returned a
#VALUE! error. E235 is ONE of the cells I am trying to fix. Any other
ideas? They look like numbers, nothing indicates that they are not (except
your little test, and the fact they wont add!) I'm at my witts end...thanks
for any additional help you can give me...if you are able to. - HHG

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

HHG wrote:
I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next column, and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!

Are you sure they're actually numbers and not text? If you have an
entry in cell A1, for example, then over in B1 put:

[B1] = isnumber(A1)

That will tell you definitively whether it's actually text. If it is
you need to convert to numbers before you can sum them. For example:

[B1] = value(A1)

Good luck...

Bill