R.VENKATARAMAN

probably the numbers you copied from your bank are in text format.

if these are in text format follow these steps
1. in an empty cell type 1(the nummber one)
2. when using this cell use absolute reference
3. edit and copy this cell and highlight the firstnumber and
edit-pastespecial-multiply(under operation in the middle). the number in
textformat will become in number format.
copy this down to all the numbers.
perhaps now the sum function will work.

HHG wrote in message
I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next column,

and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!