Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default formula is too long

Hi

If I were on a network I think I would map
S:\rn\Information\Services EAST and WEST 06-07\Community\District
Nurses\carlisle\
to a drive letter e.g. Q:

Even if you are not networked then the good old DOS command SUBST is
still alive and well.
At the C:\ command prompt type
SUBST Q: S:\rn\Information\Services EAST and WEST
06-07\Community\District Nurses\carlisle\

Then just use Q: in your formula as
SUM(Q:\wigton\[wigton ALL.xls]MAR'!D29 etc.

Or create a folder off the root of S: called S:\Me and move all the
files you want to that single folder then use
SUM(S:\Me\[wigton ALL.xls]MAR'!D29 etc.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"monkey1" wrote in message
thanks Pete_uk
this is the type of thing i am trying to get around
=SUM('S:\rn\Information\Services EAST and WEST
06-07\Community\District
Nurses\carlisle\wigton\[wigton
ALL.xls]MAR'!D29,'S:\rn\Information\Services
EAST and WEST 06-07\Community\District Nurses\carlisle\Fusehill
St\[FHS
All.xls]MAR'!D32,'S:\Lin Kendal\Information\Services EAST and WEST
06-07\Community\District Nurses\carlisle\em\[EMG
ALL.xls]MAR'!D32,'S:\rn\Information\Services EAST and WEST
06-07\Community\District Nurses\carlisle\cue doc etc etc etc... It
does the
same thing over and over again connecting to a lot of different
workbooks

I hope you can help

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Post a copy of your formula, then someone might be able to suggest
improvements or ways around the limitations.

Pete

monkey1 wrote:
I am trying to link to several workbooks elsewhere on my computer,
each book
has one sheet per month and a total sheet, the sheet i am working
on will
contain all the same sheets but i want it to add up each month from
the other
sheets so i get a total for each month and a total of everything
all together.
When i try to put the formula in i get an error saying 'the
formula is too
long' Is there any other way of linking to them, or making the
formula
allowed larger