Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula is too long

I am trying to link to several workbooks elsewhere on my computer, each book
has one sheet per month and a total sheet, the sheet i am working on will
contain all the same sheets but i want it to add up each month from the other
sheets so i get a total for each month and a total of everything all together.
When i try to put the formula in i get an error saying 'the formula is too
long' Is there any other way of linking to them, or making the formula
allowed larger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks Pete_uk
this is the type of thing i am trying to get around
=SUM('S:\rn\Information\Services EAST and WEST 06-07\Community\District
Nurses\carlisle\wigton\[wigton ALL.xls]MAR'!D29,'S:\rn\Information\Services
EAST and WEST 06-07\Community\District Nurses\carlisle\Fusehill St\[FHS
All.xls]MAR'!D32,'S:\Lin Kendal\Information\Services EAST and WEST
06-07\Community\District Nurses\carlisle\em\[EMG
ALL.xls]MAR'!D32,'S:\rn\Information\Services EAST and WEST
06-07\Community\District Nurses\carlisle\cue doc etc etc etc... It does the
same thing over and over again connecting to a lot of different workbooks

I hope you can help

monkey1 wrote:
I am trying to link to several workbooks elsewhere on my computer, each book
has one sheet per month and a total sheet, the sheet i am working on will
contain all the same sheets but i want it to add up each month from the other
sheets so i get a total for each month and a total of everything all together.
When i try to put the formula in i get an error saying 'the formula is too
long' Is there any other way of linking to them, or making the formula
allowed larger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you're putting all the links in one cell (as a giant formula), how about just
adding another worksheet and put one link per cell (say A1:A9999)

Then put:
=sum(a:a) (or whatever your formula does)
in B1
and use =sheet99!b1
in the original's spot.

(and hide the worksheet if you want.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

If I were on a network I think I would map
S:\rn\Information\Services EAST and WEST 06-07\Community\District
Nurses\carlisle\
to a drive letter e.g. Q:

Even if you are not networked then the good old DOS command SUBST is
still alive and well.
At the C:\ command prompt type
SUBST Q: S:\rn\Information\Services EAST and WEST
06-07\Community\District Nurses\carlisle\

Then just use Q: in your formula as
SUM(Q:\wigton\[wigton ALL.xls]MAR'!D29 etc.

Or create a folder off the root of S: called S:\Me and move all the
files you want to that single folder then use
SUM(S:\Me\[wigton ALL.xls]MAR'!D29 etc.

--
Regards

Roger Govier