Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Default How to sort with merged rows

"Chris" wrote:
.. On the top I have all of the contact/data information.
Below that I have a blank merged cell row that I can imput the details.
Even if I don't use the merged cells, I will still have the problem of not
being able to sort the two rows together

In row2: Bob Smith/IRA/Destination/Amount/Address/Phone Number
In row3: Notes: Bob Smith called to say that he received the paperwork
(merged)

Just venturing some thoughts ..
Assuming the sample data above is in cols A to F, in row2 down ..
Insert a new col A, unmerge & left align the merged cells in cols B to G
Then put in A2: =INT((ROW(A1)-1)/2)+1
Copy A2 down to return a "double numbered row" series: 1,1,2,2,3,3 ...
Kill the formulas in col A with an "in-place" copy paste special values
The double numbered rows would stick together as long as we sort cols A to G
with col A as the 1st sort key ..
--
Max
Singapore