Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Shannon Jacobs Shannon Jacobs is offline

Default wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

I'm encountering this problem too, but none of the suggestions elsewhere in
this old-but-long thread helped. I'm not convinced it is even related to the
wrap text function, though that was one of the first things I checked.

Not sure if it will help, but... I'm seeing it in several forms. One is that
all of the text in the cell becomes a single line of XXXXs when I leave the
cell. The original text spans several lines, and it reappears when the cell
is selected. In the other form, only the last part of the data disappears
(but completely) when I leave the cell. I pasted that data into a new cell,
just to see what happens, and the new copy also disappears when I leave its
cell.

Anyone else have new ideas? But for now, I'm off to search for new candidate
threads...

wrote:
Thanks Lakin! My situation was identical to Garth's with the multiple
monitors, the login screen being on the second monitor after I docked
my laptop, and the text wrap issue. I tried all the various Run
commands, but the only thing that fixed it was disabling & re-enabling
my second monitor. What an odd problem! At least the workaround is
pretty simple.

Garth wrote:
Thank you Lakin! This workaround solved my issue. Must be an issue
when you expand your desktop to multiple monitors. I did notice this
morning when I booted up today after docking my laptop, my Windows
login screen was showing on my external monitor instead of my laptop
display (where it usually shows). After that I experienced this text
wrapping issue. As soon as I stopped expanding my desktop, and then
re-enabled it, the problem went away.

It's the typical Windows fix, isn't it? Turn something off, and then
turn it on again to get the fixed result. I remember reading
something about repeating actions and the definition of insanity
that closely resembles this behavior... !

" wrote:

I found a workaround. The laptop that I'm using has an external
monitor hooked up to it. Whenever this starts to happen, if I open
the display settings and disable one of the monitors, then click
apply, it starts to work. The odd thing is that I can then
re-enable the monitor and it still works.

It's been working since then, and I can no longer reproduce the
problem. I assume that the problem will crop up again eventually.

I hope this helps some of you deal with the problem, and maybe this
will help us track down the true cause.

Lakin

wrote:
I also have this issue. The main differences are that I'm using
Excel 2000, and XP. It's on a laptop using dual monitors, but
switching monitors doesn't help.

I've tried the instructions below (Excel /o) and it does not fix my
problem.

Lakin

HFB wrote:
I also had this issue in Excel 2003 and XP. I do not know enough
about Excel to know why this worked, but I solved it by having
Excel re-register with the OS. This can be done by going to the
"Run..." command in the start menu and typing the following:

Excel /o

Be sure to close Excel before running this command. This
evidently re-registers Excel and fixes the bad value. I hope
this helps, it took me a long time to figure it out, and an Excel
expert finally helped me clear it up!

- Jason

Hanr3 wrote:
Check to make sure the data from an adjoining cell isn't hiding
this cell. Easiest way is to auto adjust the column width of
the surrounding columns/rows. Also make sure the date isn't
centered in the cell. --
Life is an adventure, are you living it?

These are just my opinions, please feel free to correct them if
they are wrong.

"Chris" wrote:

I am having this problem as well. Whenever word wrap is
enabled on a cell, the text is not visible in the cell. If I
select the cell, the text is visible in the formula bar. It is
also visible in Print Preview. The issue is not related to
cell width or height... it occurs even with a small entry in
the cell. The text color is not white on a white background.
So it is something else on this PC. The same file works fine
on another PC. Any help would be appreciated.