Old May 9th 06, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DaveT

Default wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually only

When I use the wrap text option for a cell, the data in the cell is no longer
viewable when I move to another cell but is clearly still there when the cell
is activated again. The data string can be any length so exceeding the
maximum number of characters in not the problem. When I double click in the
cell or click in the formula area the data reappears in the cell. Any idea
what might be causing this?

Old May 9th 06, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Hanr3

Did you format the row height to automatic?
--
Life is an adventure, are you living it?

These are just my opinions, please feel free to correct them if they are
wrong.

Old May 9th 06, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DaveT

Default wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

Yes it is set to automatic. The file works fine on other computers so it is
definitley a setting issue on my computer. I just don't know which setting
is causing it. It is a new computer so it may be an issue caused by initial
set-up. It has to be something simple...

Old May 18th 06, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chris

I am having this problem as well. Whenever word wrap is enabled on a
cell, the text is not visible in the cell. If I select the cell, the
text is visible in the formula bar. It is also visible in Print
Preview. The issue is not related to cell width or height... it occurs
even with a small entry in the cell. The text color is not white on a
white background. So it is something else on this PC. The same file
works fine on another PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Old May 19th 06, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Hanr3

Check to make sure the data from an adjoining cell isn't hidding this cell.
Easiest way is to auto adjust the column wideth of the surrounding
coumns/rows. Also make sure the date isn't centered in the cell.

Old May 31st 06, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
HFB

I also had this issue in Excel 2003 and XP. I do not know enough about
Excel to know why this worked, but I solved it by having Excel
re-register with the OS. This can be done by going to the "Run..."
command in the start menu and typing the following:

Excel /o

Be sure to close Excel before running this command. This evidently
re-registers Excel and fixes the bad value. I hope this helps, it took
me a long time to figure it out, and an Excel expert finally helped me
clear it up!

- Jason

Old June 7th 06, 09:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also have this issue. The main differences are that I'm using Excel
2000, and XP. It's on a laptop using dual monitors, but switching
monitors doesn't help.

I've tried the instructions below (Excel /o) and it does not fix my
problem.

Lakin

Old June 7th 06, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found a workaround. The laptop that I'm using has an external
monitor hooked up to it. Whenever this starts to happen, if I open the
display settings and disable one of the monitors, then click apply, it
starts to work. The odd thing is that I can then re-enable the monitor
and it still works.

It's been working since then, and I can no longer reproduce the
problem. I assume that the problem will crop up again eventually.

I hope this helps some of you deal with the problem, and maybe this
will help us track down the true cause.

Lakin

Old June 23rd 06, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected]

Thank you! Thank you!

This issue was causing me great grief, but the Excel /o did the trick

Old June 28th 06, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Garth

Thank you Lakin! This workaround solved my issue. Must be an issue when you
expand your desktop to multiple monitors. I did notice this morning when I
booted up today after docking my laptop, my Windows login screen was showing
on my external monitor instead of my laptop display (where it usually shows).
After that I experienced this text wrapping issue. As soon as I stopped
expanding my desktop, and then re-enabled it, the problem went away.

It's the typical Windows fix, isn't it? Turn something off, and then turn it
on again to get the fixed result. I remember reading something about
repeating actions and the definition of insanity that closely resembles this
behavior... !