Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
catlover1946 catlover1946 is offline

Default find hidden data in worksheet

I've tried one more thing. Open worksheet. Toolsmacrovisual basic
editorviewproject explorerviewproperties window. on last row, check for
level of visibility of worksheet. -1 is visible, 2 is very hidden. checking
workbook, it shows password. checking viewcode for each sheet shows
sub-folders. this is a VBA project and I'm in over my head. All I want to
do is a bank reconciliation. Add and subtract. not rocket science. Why 16
worksheets for 12 months? duplicate months viewed side by side appear
identical. Why sub-folders to add and subtract? Any way to access
sub-folders?
Thanks, MMO

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Well, good luck with your searching.
Sorry we haven't been able to throw any light on the discrepancy, but
when you do uncover it, be sure to post back to the thread and let us
know what the cause was.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"catlover1946" wrote in message
Roger--what wonderful suggestions. I tried this "merged cells" with
no luck,
and also the borders diagonally. Neither turned up anything. I did,
however, find in the computer files that for several months, there
are two
bank reconciliations. One set has incorrect file names, so that there
is an
unofficial reconciliation under a non-identifying file name, and an
official
"balanced" reconciliation under a file name in which the contents are
easily
recognizable. There is no reason for two reconciliations. It either
balances or it doesn't. Last year I did a reconciliation behind this
person
and found completely made-up check amounts which didn't exist any
where.
Subsequently this person stopped listing outstanding checks and just
put in
totals of outstanding checks, making them impossible to trace. They
did
include a calculator tape which supported the amount of O/S checks.
The tape
is impossible to verify since it refers to nothing except amounts.
I'm
wondering with two sets of working papers if there is a hiddden link
or
reference. I only discovered this today, so have not had a chance to
pursue
this.

Thanks so much for your input. This information may very well help
uncover
future problems. This is all fascinating, and again I thank you for
this
information.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

OK, then for something really bizarre, are any of the cells being
added
Merged cells?
Try the following.
Put values in a set of adjacent cells down 2 columns.
Now, merge two empty horizontal cells in the same 2 columns and then
use
the Format Painter to change the formats of the cells with your pairs
of
data.
Only the left set of numbers in the newly merged cells will show up,
but
if you highlight the cells and look at the sum in the calculation bar
at
the bottom of the sheet, it will show the total of not just the
visible
values on the screen, but also the "invisible" values in the merged
cells.

I remembered seeing a reference to this in the NG's before, and David
McRitchie uncovered the reason why in the thread as shown below.
http://snipurl.com/swz8 (thanks Gord!!)

It can also be "used" to hide formulae, so maybe there is a hidden
formula that "adjusts" the reconciled figure.
Could be a good way of "fiddling the books" and hiding the
discrepancy!!!!

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"catlover1946" wrote in
message
Thanks for the input. It is good to know. Doing this hides the
cell
contents, but the formula bar still displays contents of the cell,
unless you
hide the information displayed in the formula bar, and this trick
is
easy to
reverse, which I did. Nothing.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Or FormatCellsNumberCustom;;; (3 semicolons)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Biff" wrote in message
Another trick is using a font size of 1.

Biff

"JLatham" wrote in message
Maybe the empty cells aren't really hidden? Perhaps they have
text
color set
to background color, making them appear empty unless you select
them
at which
time their contents will be revealed.

"catlover1946" wrote:

Excel 2003. Windows XP Professional. Bank reconciliations.
How
is
it
possible in an unprotected worksheet to hide additional data
input
in
formulas so that visible invalid numbers produce accurate
results?
Displaying
hidden formulas in formula bar reveals nothing. Blank cells
have
been
included in formula, but searches for hidden numbers and links
in
these cells
produced nothing. I'm at my wit's end to correct this misuse
of
Excel in my
office. Any suggestions?