Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

Default Preformance problems

AFAIK, you can't change the number of undo levels available,

Yes, you can. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211922

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"macropod" wrote in message
Hi Keith,

About the only thing that will help here is a faster CPU.
AFAIK, you can't
change the number of undo levels available, but you can clear
the undo
buffer by saving the workbook.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Keith" wrote in message
Is there any way to disable the undo feature or change it's
settings do

you
know? Will upgrading to 2GB help do you think?

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Keith,

The problem here may be due to the fact that Excel is trying
to store

the
data refresh and pivot table updates in its undo buffer,
just in case

you
change your mind. When you save and close the file, that
flushes the

undo
buffer an lets Excel start over again.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Keith" wrote in message
I use Excel a lot to access in Informix database through
ODBC. I

currently
have a file this is causing problems.

The file is 179Mb in size and has one sheet containing the
data from
Informix which has about 14500 rows. On top of that there
are 9 - 10
pivot
tables all relating to this data.

Once a month I refresh the data then go through each pivot
table and
update
it. My problem is that after updating the data and 3 or 4
tables the
system
hangs. The CPU has 51% usage by Excel and 49% free.

If on the other hand I do 2 or 3 tables then save the
spreadsheet and
close
Excel then re-open the file it carries on fine.

Why is this happening? I thought that it was due to lack
of RAM but I

have
1GB. Is there a setting I need to change or something?