Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Keith

Default Preformance problems

I use Excel a lot to access in Informix database through ODBC. I currently
have a file this is causing problems.

The file is 179Mb in size and has one sheet containing the data from
Informix which has about 14500 rows. On top of that there are 9 - 10 pivot
tables all relating to this data.

Once a month I refresh the data then go through each pivot table and update
it. My problem is that after updating the data and 3 or 4 tables the system
hangs. The CPU has 51% usage by Excel and 49% free.

If on the other hand I do 2 or 3 tables then save the spreadsheet and close
Excel then re-open the file it carries on fine.

Why is this happening? I thought that it was due to lack of RAM but I have
1GB. Is there a setting I need to change or something?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
macropod

Hi Keith,

The problem here may be due to the fact that Excel is trying to store the
data refresh and pivot table updates in its undo buffer, just in case you
change your mind. When you save and close the file, that flushes the undo
buffer an lets Excel start over again.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Keith" wrote in message
I use Excel a lot to access in Informix database through ODBC. I currently
have a file this is causing problems.

The file is 179Mb in size and has one sheet containing the data from
Informix which has about 14500 rows. On top of that there are 9 - 10

pivot
tables all relating to this data.

Once a month I refresh the data then go through each pivot table and

update
it. My problem is that after updating the data and 3 or 4 tables the

system
hangs. The CPU has 51% usage by Excel and 49% free.

If on the other hand I do 2 or 3 tables then save the spreadsheet and

close
Excel then re-open the file it carries on fine.

Why is this happening? I thought that it was due to lack of RAM but I have
1GB. Is there a setting I need to change or something?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcelo

Hi Keith, I am not sure if its a good answer, but, are the Pivot Table makes
referense for the data or the Pivot table makes referense for the other pivot
table?

hope this helps
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Keith" escreveu:

I use Excel a lot to access in Informix database through ODBC. I currently
have a file this is causing problems.

The file is 179Mb in size and has one sheet containing the data from
Informix which has about 14500 rows. On top of that there are 9 - 10 pivot
tables all relating to this data.

Once a month I refresh the data then go through each pivot table and update
it. My problem is that after updating the data and 3 or 4 tables the system
hangs. The CPU has 51% usage by Excel and 49% free.

If on the other hand I do 2 or 3 tables then save the spreadsheet and close
Excel then re-open the file it carries on fine.

Why is this happening? I thought that it was due to lack of RAM but I have
1GB. Is there a setting I need to change or something?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Keith

Is there any way to disable the undo feature or change it's settings do you
know? Will upgrading to 2GB help do you think?

"Keith" wrote in message
I use Excel a lot to access in Informix database through ODBC. I currently
have a file this is causing problems.

The file is 179Mb in size and has one sheet containing the data from
Informix which has about 14500 rows. On top of that there are 9 - 10

pivot
tables all relating to this data.

Once a month I refresh the data then go through each pivot table and

update
it. My problem is that after updating the data and 3 or 4 tables the

system
hangs. The CPU has 51% usage by Excel and 49% free.

If on the other hand I do 2 or 3 tables then save the spreadsheet and

close
Excel then re-open the file it carries on fine.

Why is this happening? I thought that it was due to lack of RAM but I have
1GB. Is there a setting I need to change or something?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
macropod

Hi Keith,

About the only thing that will help here is a faster CPU. AFAIK, you can't
change the number of undo levels available, but you can clear the undo
buffer by saving the workbook.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

AFAIK, you can't change the number of undo levels available,

Yes, you can. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211922

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

[...]