Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jitty

Default Worksheet Template

Doug
Thanks for your help with this. I'm sure I followed all of these steps
correctly, but I will double-check.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Regards
Janet

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Janet T" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how I can create a worksheet template, with the fonts,
layout, etc that I specify, that will be inserted into a workbook when I
click Insert/Worksheet? I have already tried creating a single sheet
document, which I have saved as an .xlt file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\XLStart, but this wasn't picked up when I used the Insert
command. I saved the file as 'worksheet template.xlt'.
Thanks for your help.
Janet

Straight from the Excel help system, accessible from your menu:

Create a sheet template for new worksheets
1.. Create a workbook that contains one worksheet. On the worksheet,
include the formatting, styles, text, and other information you want to
appear on all new sheets of the same type.

2.. On the File menu, click Save As.
Show Me

3.. In the Save as type box, click Template (*.xlt).

4.. In the Save in box, select the folder where you want to store the
template.
To create the default worksheet template, select either the XLStart folder
or the alternate startup folder. The XLStart folder is usually
C:\os\Profiles\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart
where os is the operating system folder - for example, Windows.

To create a custom sheet template, select the Templates folder, which is
usually
C:\os\Profiles\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
where os is the operating system folder - for example, Windows.

5.. In the File name box, type sheet to create a template for default
worksheets.
To create a custom sheet template, type any valid file name.

6.. Click Save, and then click Close on the File menu