Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Default Dynamic Step Chart using range names

Anyone still watching this thread can see Michel's example in comparison
with the "usual" error bar method on this web page:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/StepChart.html

Thanks to Michel for graciously allowing me to present his technique.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
Sorry, Michel. Your post was perfectly correct. I made an error when I
defined the FedX name, so my procedure was flawed.

- Jon

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
Michel -

Very nice one. The only defect I found was in the definition of the Y
values. You have to list the areas of the range in the opposite order:
=Step!Fed,Step!FedX instead of =Step!FedX,Step!Fed.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Michel Gerday" wrote in message
Let's create a step chart to illustrate Fed Funds Rates

Data at http://www.federalreserve.gov/fomc/fundsrate.htm

I create a new book and save it as "Step.xls" (a short name is good
idea...
see at III)

| A B
--|----------- ----
1| Date Fed
2|03-Jan-2000 5.50
3|02-Feb-2000 5.75
4|21-Mar-2000 6.00
5|16-May-2000 6.50
6|03-Jan-2001 6.00
7|31-Jan-2001 5.50
8|15-Feb-2001 5.50
9|

II. I have to define Range Names with Insert,Name,Define...

1. Date: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)-1,1)
= I start from cell A2 because A1 contain the label
= I subtract 1 because label in cell A1 was counted

2. DateX: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,1,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)-2,1)
= I want the same range of dates except the first date

3. Fed: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$2,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1,1)
= Same as for Date

4. FedX: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$2,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-2,1)
= I want the same range of Fed values except the last one

5. FedLabel: =Sheet1!$B$1 (not mandatory)

III. I have to create the chart

Insert,Chart...,Line,Line chart without marker,Next
Select the "Series" tab
Click on "Add" series
- Name: =Step!FedLabel (Spreadsheet name is mandatory!)
- Values: =Step!FedX,Step!Fed (Union of 2 ranges !)
- (X) axis: =Step!DateX,Step!Date

Click on Finish... That's it !

IV. When the Fed changes its rates, feel free to add a row of data to
see
the chart change dynamically...
* * *
Notes:
1. This works because Excel recognised the Date ranges as a Time Scale X
axis (as mentioned early by Andy Pope at http://www.andypope.info).
2. It also works with an X axis with x 0
3. Done with Excel 2002.
--
Michel Gerday
Belgium