Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Wright

Default Multiple Instances of Excel

All depends on how hectic your workbook is. Excel has various internal
limits that will slow it down big time depending on what you have going on,
but all these limits are specific to that instance of Excel, so opening up
another one can allow you to do something that your current instance may
struggle to cope with as well.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I'm running Excel 2000. Unless something has changed in later versions,
Excel is happy to churn things in one workbook, while you're viewing
another, all in one instance.

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
I don't like to do this either. I find it a pain.

So I asked someone who asked how to do this and their reply was so that
they
could work in one instance while excel did stuff (long calculations/long
running
macro) in the other.

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson