David McRitchie

Can't imagine why a recovery program would have a limit of 3 files or on size.
Recovery of files from a failed drive requires lots of work in reassembling
parts of files -- maybe the work is the same but a limit of 3 sounds entirely
artificial to me in order to market a pay for version.

I use FAT32 so I would not expect anything like the problems that
may exist with trying to recover NTFS files that have compression
and encryption and a different directory.
summary table of features: http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
---
HTH,

"Bob Clark" wrote in message ...
those are worthless for excel files AFAIK. I've benched all of them and they
generally won't handle the size of an excel file, as they generally have size
limitations that limit the size of a file. I vaguely remember one that would do
any 3 files but can't remember the name of it. your better buying it rather than
spending the couple of hours trying to figure each new program out, just to find
out that it doesn't work IMHO.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:22:43 -0500, in microsoft.public.excel.misc falling into
the bathtub with your monitor, the short circuit caused the following to
mysteriously appear from your keyboard:

~There are free recovery programs as well, I have recovered
~some files off of a compact flash card, most of the files were
~okay and they are somewhat small compared to Excel files.
~
~But one can look at the recovery portion of my backup.htm
~page, but I would not rely on getting oneself out of a predicament
~and is no substitute for backup.
~ http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
~---
~HTH,
~David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001]
~My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
~Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
~
~"Bob Clark" wrote in message
~actually you need recovery software as all that happens when a file is deleted
~or replaced is a name change i.e. from myfile.xls to ?yfile.xls. it will be
safe
~until your hard drive fills up (thereby beginning to overwrite deleted files)
or
~you defrag the drive (in which case it MAY be recoverable. take a look at
~zdnet.com, they (the programs) are fairly cheap.
~
~
~On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:58:30 -0800, in microsoft.public.excel.misc falling
into
~the bathtub with your monitor, the short circuit caused the following to
~mysteriously appear from your keyboard:
~
~~if you are on a network, you can restore from the last
~~backup. if you have no other backup, i'm afraid your are
~~stuck with the new file.
~~