Default Can I use autofilter to hide random postcodes?

I'm sure this can be done but I can't work it out: I have list of postcodes
and wish to filter some groups out by the first two letters and number, e.g.
XY1..., XY5...ETC. If I choose the 'contains' option I only seem to be able
to filter one postcode in the first box and another in the 'and' box. What I
want to do is enter all the postcodes in the first 'contains' box but,
whatever symbol I try to use for plus,it doesn't work. Using the 'greater' or
l'ess than' options won't work either as it will miss postcodes in the
middle, e.g. if I wanted 2-4, 5-6, 8-10 etc. Can the programme do what I
want/am I just thick?

Grateful for any advice