Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Deferring conditional formatting?

Maybe you could post exactly what you did.

select your cell and format|Conditional formatting

Then copy both formulas into your reply.

"Pheasant PluckerŪ" wrote:

Whoops...sorry Dave.

Shows my ignorance I guess..:-/

I did try the CF that you suggested and the cell doesn't turn red
immediately when you input the first number in the first cell which was what
I wanted.

However it stays yellow all the time now!

It doesn't turn green when above 80 nor red below 80 even after those 5
cells have data in - it just stays yellow...

No worries...probably I missed something else fundamental...

Thanks for trying.

Kind regards,
-=pp=-

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
I didn't mean for you to change the formula in the cell. I meant for you

change the conditional formatting formula/rules.

Since you're using "Cell value is", you'll have to change it to "Formula

is"

First format:
=and(counta(c12:g12)=5,and(1<=h20,h20<80))

And second format:
=and(counta(c12:g12)=5,h20=80)

"Pheasant PluckerŪ" wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The existing formula in H20 is [=H17-H19]

Conditional Formatting for H20 is two-fold;
Cell Value between 1 - 79.99 Format pattern Red
Cell Value greater than or equal to Format 80 pattern Green

I did try what you suggested by prefixing the existing formula to give;
[=AND(COUNTA(C12:G12)=5,H17-H19)) but then the word FALSE or TRUE

appears in
cell H20 which I do not want.

Nice try - thanks anyway :-)

Kind regards,
-=pp=-

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Depending on what you used for your conditional formatting rules,

maybe
you
could just add another requirement:

=and(counta(c12:g12)=5,(yourexistingrules))

"Pheasant PluckerŪ" wrote:

Does the subject even make sense?

I have a cell H20 that when the spreadsheet is blank is coloured

yellow
highlight the fact that it has a special purpose.

When the spreadsheet is blank the number 0 is displayed in this

cell.

It has Conditional Formatting applied to it to turn the cell red and
display
the word FAIL if the summed result is between 1 and 79.99

For 80 and above the cell is coloured green and the word PASS is
displayed
in it.

All great so far...

However the summed result in this cell H20 depends upon the result

of
another cell H17 that in turn depends upon the input of 5 other

cells
C12:G12

I would rather H20 does not change colour until all of those 5 cells
C12:G12
have data in them as it would be wrong to display FAIL in a red cell
until
the result of all 5 cells are input.

Does that make sense and is this even possible?

-pp-

--

Dave Peterson

--