Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Default Need Help Please

Hi Jennifer

I can't think what is going on here.
On a brand new sheet, if I type 146:23 into A1, and 153:45 into A2, then
what I see is 146:23:00 and 153:45:00
If I sum these 2 cells, I see 308:31:00
If I look at the format for the cells, then XL has guessed I want hours
running over 24, and set a Custom format of [h]:mm:ss
I can get rid of the :00 to remove the seconds and just have the values
shown as hours and minutes.

This is with XL2003. Maybe earlier versions aren't so intelligent in
their guessing, but I still can't see how it would get it that wrong.
Try again on a fresh sheet and see what it does.

If you are still having problems, then feel free to mail me direct with
a copy of your sheet and I will try and see what is going on.

To email me direct, remove NOSPAM from my email address.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"jlogan21" wrote
in message ...

There is no formula in those cells. And they are not formatted anyway
right now as I cant figure out what format to choose. Everytime I
format one of the cells, it changes the amount. For example:
A1 146 hours and 23 minutes is what I need it to be. But when I try to
format it with the hh:mm one it changes it to like 3109:31 or
something
like that. I need it to be

A1 146:23
A2 153:45

and so on. But those are hours and minutes. Then I need them all
added up to determine the total number of hours worked in a year. So
there will be 12 cells with the number of hours and minutes and then I
will have a cell with the formula to add them all up. SO that cell
will
have the =SUM(A1:12) but still need it to be correct hours and
minutes.
I hope that clears things up!
Thanks for your help!
Jennifer