Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Default How do I list postcodes in order in Excel?

Hi Jilly

The "helper" column is basically, any unused column on your sheet.
Because you inserted a new column at A, then your original column will
now be B, and all my formulae would need to be altered to reference B
rather than A.

Assuming your data is ain column A, and assuming say column M is empty,
then enter the formulae in column M (as the helper column) and proceed
as directed.

If your data is not in column A, but is in say column D, then wherever
you choose to insert the formulae, you would need to amend them to
change all A's to D's in this example.

I hope this makes it all a bit clearer.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"jillysillybilly" wrote in
message ...
Thanks Roger but unfortunately, being a bit of an Excel novice, I have
no
idea how to create a helper column, so I was a bit unsure how to
proceed - i
did try creating a new column A and putting your formula in there, but
it
told me I was creating a loop and I didn't really know what was going
on! So
i haven't got any further with it yet.