Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

Default Excel Question

In your formula,

=DATEDIF(09/17/1943,TODAY(),"Y")

the / characters are treated as division operators, not date
separators. Use something like

=DATEDIF(DATE(1943,9,17),TODAY(),"y")

or

=DATEDIF("09/17/1943",TODAY(),"Y")

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"AB" wrote in message
Hi Chip,

I think I have it. I tried using the formula listed below
however what
stumps me is the follow:

=DATEDIF(09/17/1943,TODAY(),"Y")

I tried putting todays date in between the brackes next to
TODAY but it di d
not work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Adam

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

I guess I don't really understand your problem. If you have a
birthdate, the formula

=DATEDIF(birth_date,TODAY(),"Y")

will return the age in years.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"AB" wrote in message
Chip,

Thanks for your response. I tried that but it did not do
what
I wanted it
to. What I am trying to do is the following. I have a list
of
about 600
employees. I am trying to put together a formular where I
can
tell Excel to
calculate the birthdate and then based on its results do a
VLookup to see
what the coresponding rate is and then have it pull that
rate
into a
specified cell. For example, is Bob Smith was born on
12/20/1950, I need
exce to recognize that he is 50 years of age. Then look at
what rate
corresponds to 50 years of age and then put it in Cell A4.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you need
additional info.

Thanks.

Adam

Chip Pearson" wrote:

Use the DATEDIF function.

=DATEDIF(start_date,end_date,"Y")

For more info about DATEDIF, see
www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm .

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"AB" wrote in message
Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I
am
trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam