Ron Rosenfeld

On 16 Nov 2004 06:08:39 -0800, (Felicity Geronimo)
wrote:

Hi,

I need to check 3 columns nx to each other to see if true or false
appears in these cells for example:

A B C
FALSE TRUE FALSE
#N/A #N/A #N/A
FALSE FALSE TRUE
FALSE FALSE TRUE
FALSE FALSE TRUE
#N/A #N/A TRUE
#N/A #N/A TRUE
#N/A #N/A TRUE
#N/A #N/A TRUE
#N/A #N/A TRUE
TRUE FALSE FALSE

I want to write a formula that says if column A = false, check column
B, if that also says false check column C

If True appears in column A i want it to display column A
If True appears in column B i want it to display column B
If True appears in column C i want it to display column C
If any column contains #N/A i want it to move to next column and check
again
If all 3 columns contain #N/A I want it to display "Not found"

Thanks

Your description implies that the columns may contain ONLY TRUE, FALSE or #N/A
and also that there will only be a single TRUE.

The following formula appears to do what you describe:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:C1,NA())=3,"not found",
CHOOSE(MATCH(TRUE,A1:C1,0),"column A","column B","columnC"))

--ron