Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Default Conditional Formatting question...

I believe you only have to do that if you forget the first "=". At least
that is the only time I ever have to do delete the quotes.

"Bryan Hessey" wrote:

Hi Elkar, Dino,

I usually have trouble conditionally shading a row (or multiple cells)
unless I re-edit the stated formula and remove added quotes, thus,
selecting a number of cells (across a row etc) and setting the
conditional format to

Formula
=$A$2="Complete"

I then have to re-edit that formula which shows as ="$A$2="Complete""
back to =$A$2="Complete"

The alternative seems to be that you set the condition to Formula, and
then use the 'Conditional Formating - Value' dropdown, select the
condition cell, then type in ="Complete"
and press Enter.

Obviously something I am not doing correctly, or a bug in the setting,
but it does work after removing the un-required quotes.

Elkar Wrote:
Try using an absolute reference in your Conditional Format formula.
For
example, if the cell that contains the value "complete" is A1, then
refer to
it as $A$1.

"Dino" wrote:

Is there a way to have Excel look in a particular cell, and if the

value in
the cell meets a requirement (such as Complete), then shade the

entire row a
different color? I can use conditional formatting to get the one

cell
shaded, but I can't get the rest of the row to be shaded.

Thanks!
Dino

--
Bryan Hessey