View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: when I protect a worksheet, user cannot use check boxes

When you protect a worksheet in Excel, by default, all the cells are locked. This means that users cannot make any changes to the cells, including the check boxes and radio buttons. However, you can change the properties of the check boxes and radio buttons to allow users to interact with them even when the worksheet is protected.

Here are the steps to do that:
  1. Right-click on the check box or radio button that you want to modify and select "Format Control" from the context menu.
  2. In the "Format Control" dialog box, go to the "Protection" tab.
  3. Uncheck the "Locked" checkbox and click "OK".
  4. Repeat the above steps for all the check boxes and radio buttons that you want to modify.
  5. Now, protect the worksheet by going to the "Review" tab and clicking on "Protect Sheet".
  6. In the "Protect Sheet" dialog box, select the options that you want to allow users to do, such as "Select unlocked cells", "Format cells", and "Insert hyperlinks".
  7. Enter a password if you want to restrict access to the protected worksheet.
  8. Click "OK" to protect the worksheet.

Now, when users open the protected worksheet, they will be able to interact with the check boxes and radio buttons that you modified. They will not be able to make any changes to the locked cells, but they can still select them and view their contents. If you want to make any changes to the check boxes or radio buttons, you will need to unprotect the worksheet first, make the changes, and then protect it again.