Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] deasmhuinbreathnach@gmail.com is offline

Default Table filtering broken by Subtotal function in Excel 2010

I recently added a running total column to a Table. To my surprise, the filtering stopped working. In a column with numerical values, the rows with the selected value remained visible but were followed by other rows containing random values. Clearing the filter generally left a row or two hidden near the end of the table.

However, when I convert the table to a range, filtering starts working again

Simple test code shows this problem;

Data block as a Table
Table1
C D E
8 COL1 COL2 COL3
9 1 4 4
10 2 4 8
11 2 50 58
12 34 49 107
13 34 50 157
14 50 1 158

NOTES
1
2 Table1 defined as C8:E15
3 COL3 maintains a running total of COL2 i.e
E9: =SUBTOTAL(9,$D$8:D9)
The formula in COL3 breaks filtering on the table

Table3
C D
24 COL1 COL2
25 1 4
26 2 4
27 2 50
28 34 49
29 34 50
30 50 1
31 2

NOTES
1
2 Table3 defined as C24:D31
3 Running total column removed from table
Filtering now works on the table

Table converted to a range
C D E
41 COL1 COL2 COL3
42 1 4 4
43 2 4 8
44 2 50 58
45 34 49 107
46 34 50 157
47 50 1 158

NOTES

1 C41:E48 is a copy of Table1 converted to a range
2 COL3 maintains a running total of COL2 i.e
E42: =SUBTOTAL(9,$D$41:D42)
3 Filtering now works on the data block

I have checked online and have seen no reference to this problem. I am surprised since a running total is a common display feature. I am running Excel 2010 on Windows 7 (64 bit)