Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Converting personal.xlsb to personal.xls

Hi Garry,

Am Tue, 05 Jan 2016 10:43:18 -0500 schrieb GS:

The name of this macro workbook is different and also the pathes
are.

Claus, where is xlsb stored by default?

this is different in the OS versions.
Personl.xls with XP or older OS:
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Personal.xlsb with the newer OS versions:
C:\Users\<User name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks!
My understanding has always been that it's stored in the XLSTART folder
under the user profile, regardless of OS. That being said, both files
will have the same path on Walter's machine.

Another thought I had was that would using the Office Compatability
tool work for opening the xlsb in xl2003. Of course, this would have to
be done manually (or via code) since xl2003 won't recognize the xlsb.
Hmm?

I'm a fan of using 1 file for all versions, and so xls is my
preference. I do same for my XLAs but use a hidden xlsx to configure
the later UIs so the menus are the same. I'll switch to using a custom
Ribbon tab instead of relabeling the Addins tab when clients quit using
xl2003. That's assuming I continue supporting MSO apps vs replacing
them with Win apps that use a custom commandbar control and my
Spread.ocx component!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!