Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Converting personal.xlsb to personal.xls

I have 2 machines, running Excel 2003 and 2007.
I mistakenly trashed the Excel 2003 personal.xls.
The Excel 2007 machine has a personal.xlsb.
How do I convert personal.xlsb to personal.xls?

If I open personal.xlsb in Excel 2003, it is converted, but mangled.
2003 VBE (Visual Basic Environment?) does not have a Save As menu item.
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Walter,

Am Sat, 26 Dec 2015 20:53:39 +0000 schrieb Walter Briscoe:

I have 2 machines, running Excel 2003 and 2007.
I mistakenly trashed the Excel 2003 personal.xls.
The Excel 2007 machine has a personal.xlsb.
How do I convert personal.xlsb to personal.xls?

I would open xl2003 = record macro = store in Personl.xls = Cancel.
Then I would copy the procedures and functions from the PERSONAL.XLSB to
the Personl.xls.
The name of this macro workbook is different and also the pathes are.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In message of Sat, 26 Dec 2015 22:11:04 in
microsoft.public.excel.programming, Claus Busch <claus_busch@t-
online.de writes
Hi Walter,

Am Sat, 26 Dec 2015 20:53:39 +0000 schrieb Walter Briscoe:

I have 2 machines, running Excel 2003 and 2007.
I mistakenly trashed the Excel 2003 personal.xls.
The Excel 2007 machine has a personal.xlsb.
How do I convert personal.xlsb to personal.xls?

I would open xl2003 = record macro = store in Personl.xls = Cancel.
Then I would copy the procedures and functions from the PERSONAL.XLSB to
the Personl.xls.
The name of this macro workbook is different and also the pathes are.

Thanks, Claus.
That is roughly what I successfully did.
I have been away from home for a few days.
Since then, I have had to return the XL2007 machine to the repair shop.
A motherboard dry joint failure seems to be happening again..

I found a portability issue.

In auto_open() in my diary file, I have

Application.Run("'personal.xls'!FindDate", Date).Activate
That is not portable between XL2003 and XL2007.

OTOH, this probably is portable. (I can't yet test it on XL2007.)
Application.Run("'" & Workbooks(1).Name & "'!FindDate", Date).Activate

It relies on all versions of XL first loading a file from XLSTART.

Can you suggest a better method of accessing the XLSTART file?

Googling did not find any general list of VBA portability issues.
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Walter,

Am Tue, 5 Jan 2016 07:52:19 +0000 schrieb Walter Briscoe:

Application.Run("'personal.xls'!FindDate", Date).Activate
That is not portable between XL2003 and XL2007.

OTOH, this probably is portable. (I can't yet test it on XL2007.)
Application.Run("'" & Workbooks(1).Name & "'!FindDate", Date).Activate

check the Excel version (untested):

Dim FN As String

FN = IIf(Val(Application.Version) < 12, "Personl.xls", "Personal.xlsb")
Application.Run("'" & FN & "'!FindDate", Date).Activate

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have 2 machines, running Excel 2003 and 2007.
I mistakenly trashed the Excel 2003 personal.xls.
The Excel 2007 machine has a personal.xlsb.
How do I convert personal.xlsb to personal.xls?

If I open personal.xlsb in Excel 2003, it is converted, but mangled.
2003 VBE (Visual Basic Environment?) does not have a Save As menu
item.

FWIW
Adding to Claus' reply...

I continued using my PERSONAL.XLS in xl2007 from my XLSTART folder,
where it's always been. This continues again with xl2010. So on this
Win7 Pro machine I have versions 11,12,14 all using the same
PERSONAL.XLS from the same location.

On my WinXP Pro machine I have versions 8,9,10,11,12 all using the same
PERSONAL.XLS. This is the file I copied to my Win7 Pro XLSTART folder
when I put xl2003 on there.

I repeated the process on my Win8.1 notebook for xl2003/2010 and this
is working well.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The name of this macro workbook is different and also the pathes are.

Claus, where is xlsb stored by default?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry,

Am Tue, 05 Jan 2016 10:43:18 -0500 schrieb GS:

The name of this macro workbook is different and also the pathes are.

Claus, where is xlsb stored by default?

this is different in the OS versions.
Personl.xls with XP or older OS:
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Personal.xlsb with the newer OS versions:
C:\Users\<User name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry,

Am Tue, 05 Jan 2016 10:43:18 -0500 schrieb GS:

The name of this macro workbook is different and also the pathes
are.

Claus, where is xlsb stored by default?

this is different in the OS versions.
Personl.xls with XP or older OS:
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Personal.xlsb with the newer OS versions:
C:\Users\<User name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks!
My understanding has always been that it's stored in the XLSTART folder
under the user profile, regardless of OS. That being said, both files
will have the same path on Walter's machine.

Another thought I had was that would using the Office Compatability
tool work for opening the xlsb in xl2003. Of course, this would have to
be done manually (or via code) since xl2003 won't recognize the xlsb.
Hmm?

I'm a fan of using 1 file for all versions, and so xls is my
preference. I do same for my XLAs but use a hidden xlsx to configure
the later UIs so the menus are the same. I'll switch to using a custom
Ribbon tab instead of relabeling the Addins tab when clients quit using
xl2003. That's assuming I continue supporting MSO apps vs replacing
them with Win apps that use a custom commandbar control and my
Spread.ocx component!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry,

Am Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:16:55 -0500 schrieb GS:

That being said, both files
will have the same path on Walter's machine.

I guess Walter has two machines. In the answer of today he wrote that
the machine with 2007 is in the repair shop and he cannot test with
2007.
But if he has two PCs he don't need both Personal workbooks on each
machine. Then he could have Personl.xls on one and Personal.xlsb on the
other machine.
If this one macro doesn't work in one of the versions he could have
some code with objects that have changed.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry,

Am Tue, 05 Jan 2016 11:16:55 -0500 schrieb GS:

That being said, both files
will have the same path on Walter's machine.

I guess Walter has two machines. In the answer of today he wrote that
the machine with 2007 is in the repair shop and he cannot test with
2007.
But if he has two PCs he don't need both Personal workbooks on each
machine. Then he could have Personl.xls on one and Personal.xlsb on
the other machine.
If this one macro doesn't work in one of the versions he could have
some code with objects that have changed.

Regards
Claus B.

The problem I see here is having 2 files open at the same time where
the result trying to use macros could very well raise the "Ambiguous
name" exception. This is why I use xls for all versions. No problem
with version file formats to revise/save in the VBE IDE.