Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Converting personal.xlsb to personal.xls

In message of Sat, 26 Dec 2015 22:11:04 in
microsoft.public.excel.programming, Claus Busch <claus_busch@t-
online.de writes
Hi Walter,

Am Sat, 26 Dec 2015 20:53:39 +0000 schrieb Walter Briscoe:

I have 2 machines, running Excel 2003 and 2007.
I mistakenly trashed the Excel 2003 personal.xls.
The Excel 2007 machine has a personal.xlsb.
How do I convert personal.xlsb to personal.xls?

I would open xl2003 = record macro = store in Personl.xls = Cancel.
Then I would copy the procedures and functions from the PERSONAL.XLSB to
the Personl.xls.
The name of this macro workbook is different and also the pathes are.

Thanks, Claus.
That is roughly what I successfully did.
I have been away from home for a few days.
Since then, I have had to return the XL2007 machine to the repair shop.
A motherboard dry joint failure seems to be happening again..

I found a portability issue.

In auto_open() in my diary file, I have

Application.Run("'personal.xls'!FindDate", Date).Activate
That is not portable between XL2003 and XL2007.

OTOH, this probably is portable. (I can't yet test it on XL2007.)
Application.Run("'" & Workbooks(1).Name & "'!FindDate", Date).Activate

It relies on all versions of XL first loading a file from XLSTART.

Can you suggest a better method of accessing the XLSTART file?

Googling did not find any general list of VBA portability issues.
--
Walter Briscoe