Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Mod 43 Check Digit calculator

First off, since you will probably want to copy the formula down the column,
I left off a couple of needed absolute references. Use this formula instead
of the one I posted originally...

=MOD(SUMPRODUCT(SEARCH(MID(A1,ROW($1:$99),1),"0123 456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ-.$/+%")
)-99,43)

My formula assumes your text is in A1... you would put the above formula in
any other column (in most likely in row 1 of that column to keep the text
and the MOD43 number in sync). If you have more text under A1 that you want
the MOD43 number for, then just copy my formula down through those rows. If
your text strings are in a different column, then change the A1 reference in
my formula to the first cell in the column the text is in. For example, if
your first text string is in E3, then the above formula would become this...

=MOD(SUMPRODUCT(SEARCH(MID(F3,ROW($1:$99),1),"0123 456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ-.$/+%")
)-99,43)

which you might place in, say, F3.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"CLI-Art" wrote in message
Perhaps I am not gettting this into my file correctly but it does not seem
be working correctly. Should I just copy the entire string into the first
cell and go from there?

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

Does this formula do what you want?

=MOD(SUMPRODUCT(SEARCH(MID(A1,ROW(1:99),1),"012345 6789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ-.
$/+%") )-99,43)

I think it calculates the MOD43 check number for the text in A1. If you
need
the formula to calculate the character equivalent to this number, then
try
this formula...

=MID("0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ-.
$/+%",MOD(SUMPRODUCT(SEARCH(MID(A1,ROW(1:99),1),"012 3456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ-.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"CLI-Art" wrote in message
Is there a mod43 check digit calculator in Excel. If not, has anyone
out
there made one?