RestlessAde

Dave,

That's fantastic. I don't understand how it works at the moment, although I
shall invest some brain power into trying to understand it for future
reference. Thanks for replying so quickly.

Thanks also to bigwheel.

RA

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I'd use some helper columns and formulas.

Assumes your data is in A1:Axxx.

In B1, put this formula:
=MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)),0)
them yourself.)

In C1, put this formula:
=SEARCH("source:",A1)

In D1, put this formula:
=TRIM(LEFT(A1,B1-1))

In E1:
=--MID(A1,B1,C1-B1)

In F1:
=TRIM(MID(A1,C1+LEN("source:"),255))

And select b1:F1 and drag down as far as you need.

RestlessAde wrote:

Hi,

I have tried to solve this problem using a mixture of text functions such as
RIGHT, LEN, LEFT, FIND etc. However, am still stuck. Would appreciate any
suggestions.

I'm trying to split out the following data stored in a single column into
three columns: Country, Data Value and Source.

Angola 13,294,000 Source: ibid.
Anguilla 13,000 Source: ibid.
Antigua and Barbuda 76,000 Source: ibid.
Argentina 37,880,000 Source: ibid.
Armenia 3,206,000 Source: ibid.
Aruba 94,000 Source: ibid.
Australia 20,125,000 Source: ibid.

The problem I'm having relates to the fact that some countries contain more
than one word, so I can't just search for the first " ". I think the answer
is to somehow detect the first instance of a numeric value, but I have no
idea how to do this.

Thanks,
RA

--