Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mark Dev[_2_] Mark Dev[_2_] is offline

Default XLA File Size Decrease

Rob,

Thanks. This was very informative. Appreciate it.

Regards,
Mark

"Rob Bovey" wrote in message
Hi Mark,

You can read a detailed discussion of VBA code compilation he

http://orlando.mvps.org/VBADecompile...IdC=OrlMoreWin

Scroll down below the download link.

--
Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

* Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
* Professional Excel Development
http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

"Mark Dev" wrote in message
Charles,

Thanks for you reply. Yes, that appears to be the case. He did not
compile the code, as I always do. I'm unable to locate anything in
Microsoft Support that explains exactly what happens during this Compile
process that makes the files so much larger (other than a brief
explanation of how it does syntax checking, which is the main reason I
compile). Do you know where I can get more details on the Compile
process?

The compiled Add-In does not show any noticeable performance improvement,
so I'm wondering what takes place to cause such a huge increase in file
size (4MB to 6MB).

Thanks again,
Mark

"Charles Williams" wrote in message
Mark,

probably he did not compile the code.

BTW you should be using Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner (if you arent already)
http://www.Appspro.com

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.2 Beta now available
www.DecisionModels.com

"Mark Dev" wrote in message
All,

I am currently using Excel XP (SP3) and created a complex Add-In, which
I passed along to another programmer. The other programmer opened the
Add-In and made a very minor VBA code change and then saved the XLA.
The file size of the XLA shrunk from 6MB to 4MB. He is also using
Excel XP (SP3). I ran a Sourcesafe compare on the code modules and
they are all identical (with the exception of the two lines he
changed). There are a few hidden worksheets, that are also unchanged.
Does anyone have any idea what would cause such a huge change in file
size?

Thanks,
Mark D'Agosta