Andy

I'm still confused. Please tell me how I will put the little 2 next to my
four to have 4 squared. I don't need to have it compute. I tried
highlighting it and hitting superscript but when I go to the next column it
returns to the original big 2? I tried your way and somehow got it to work
but when I tried it again I couldn't get it to work. Could you please
explain step by step your method for giving me a printed 4 squared or 4.4
squared.
Thanks
Andy

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:40:01 -0700, Howard
wrote:

How do I type square metres or indeed square anything. What I mean is how do
I type a little 2 next to the number in order to show it is a squared number

I am using Excel 2000

If you want the value to be treated as a number, so as to do calculations on
it, then you need a custom format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0.0<alt-0178

<alt-0178 means hold down the <alt key while you type 0178 on the numeric
keypad. This will not work if you use the number keys above the regular
keyboard.

You may replace the 0.0 by whatever number format you want.

--ron