Howard

Default How do I type 24 square metres using arithmetical notation

How do I type square metres or indeed square anything. What I mean is how do
I type a little 2 next to the number in order to show it is a squared number

I am using Excel 2000
DNA

Type your number and then hold down the ALT key and key in 0178. 5²

Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:40:01 -0700, Howard
wrote:

How do I type square metres or indeed square anything. What I mean is how do
I type a little 2 next to the number in order to show it is a squared number

I am using Excel 2000

If you want the value to be treated as a number, so as to do calculations on
it, then you need a custom format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0.0<alt-0178

<alt-0178 means hold down the <alt key while you type 0178 on the numeric
keypad. This will not work if you use the number keys above the regular
keyboard.

You may replace the 0.0 by whatever number format you want.

--ron
Andy

I tried this but when I go to the next column it returns to the original
size. How do I get it to stay little 2

"Hayeso" wrote:

First type it in normmall (eg m2)
then Highlight the "2" in nthe formula bar
Select Format...Cells...and click the Superscript option

"Howard" wrote:

How do I type square metres or indeed square anything. What I mean is how do
I type a little 2 next to the number in order to show it is a squared number

I am using Excel 2000

Andy

I'm still confused. Please tell me how I will put the little 2 next to my
four to have 4 squared. I don't need to have it compute. I tried
highlighting it and hitting superscript but when I go to the next column it
returns to the original big 2? I tried your way and somehow got it to work
but when I tried it again I couldn't get it to work. Could you please
explain step by step your method for giving me a printed 4 squared or 4.4
squared.
Thanks
Andy

wrote:

How do I type square metres or indeed square anything. What I mean is how do
I type a little 2 next to the number in order to show it is a squared number

I am using Excel 2000

If you want the value to be treated as a number, so as to do calculations on
it, then you need a custom format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0.0<alt-0178

<alt-0178 means hold down the <alt key while you type 0178 on the numeric
keypad. This will not work if you use the number keys above the regular
keyboard.

You may replace the 0.0 by whatever number format you want.

--ron

RagDyer

You need to have the "42" as *Text* for the 2 to remain in superscript.
Either format the cell as text before you enter the numbers,
OR
Precede the numbers with an apostrophe < ' to make sure XL deciphers them
as text,
THEN
format the 2 to superscript.
--