Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson[_5_] Jim Thomlinson[_5_] is offline

Default Need help finding text string in an Excel file

Project is unviewable means that the project is protected. You need a
password to open it. I assume you do not have the password? If not then you
might be in a bit of trouble here. Here is a link to some good information on
passwords in Excel...

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

You can still open the file with a text editor and scan through it that
way... You might get lucky and track down the word that way. You mihgt even
find the password stored as text in the file somewhere...

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Judy Ward" wrote:

I ran a findstr command from a DOS prompt and it finds the word "proprietary"
in an Excel file.

When I open the Excel file and use Edit | Find it does not find
"proprietary" anywhere (even if I choose Within Workbook Look in Formulas,
Values, Comments). I have looked in the header and footer. Any idea where I
can find the word "proprietary" in this Excel file? I have been told it
needs to be removed.

Many thanks for your help,
Judy